Old 14-05-2005, 05:23 AM
Jack

Thanks, Kathy. Gosh, I was attempting to take a picture of one of the frogs
but it was getting dark when I let him (them) back into the pond. It
scampered before I got the shot. But I did'nt notice any of your
distinguishing marks of a bullfrog. These guys were pretty small with
bulging eyes and very timid. Like I said earlier, I think I'll just keep a
better monitor of the pond, replenish with some more fishies and perhaps
string a net over it. Hmm.. I had a net over the pond (stretched taught,
weighted down with perimeter boulders) all winter long (to keep the leaves
out) but every so often the net had collapsed to the surface. I thought it
was a frog trying to get back into the pond, as I caught one hung up on the
top of the net. Anyway, the net was removed a week before I left town ..2
weeks ago. Perhaps this latest absence of a net is a clue, huh. Jack

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't get rid of the frogs unless you determine
they are bullfrogs.
Bullfrogs have a fold of skin that starts at the
eye and curves around the ear drum. When they
call in warm weather they will sound like
'run,rum,run'.

Different predator deterrents work for different
pond and yard set ups. What might work for
one will not work for another. Experimentation.

Protective measures a
- two different kinds of electric shock fence
the 'FiShock' dog fence and the 'Pond Guardian'
fence.
- the 'Scarecrow' motion activated sprinkler, sometimes
two are needed
- some folks have good luck with fishing line strung around
- bird netting
- humane traps for raccoons
- 'Heron Scarer' decoy for kingfishers

You can look up the various products on