Old 14-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from (sarah) contains these words:

'Tricholoma' and 'Lycoperdon' have.....

Oh, you get the drift!

And I'm depressed. I used to be able to just about manage

'Boletus'.
*sigh* Never mind, the pictures and edibilities in my fungus books
still match, even if the names are no longer current!

Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger
Phillips, Macmillan, ISBN 0 330 26441 9

Well worth buying, and it's not too dear.

The Collins _Gem Guide_ is cheap and clear: probably good enough for
most of us.

Depends, I suppose, on whether you're planning to eat what you find. If
I'm eating a mushroom that I haven't tried before, I like to check the
identification in at least two books. I use Marcel Bon 'Mushrooms and
toadstools of britain and NW Europe' for drawings and keys, and Phillips
for photos.
--
Kay