Old 14-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:

(Can I mention spring? I've been told your seasons don't have the same
names or some such in the UK.)

Oh yes, please do!

We know you have spring too from the rhyme:

Bronx

"Spring is sprung, de grass is ris,
I wonder where de boidies is?
De boids is on de wing -
But that's absoid:
De boid ain't on de wing,
De wing is on de boid..."

/Bronx

We also have Summer here, allegedly, but like Easter, it's a movable
feast, and might fall on any day between June and August. It is very
shy, and sometimes it hides its face for upwards of a year.

Now Autumn seems to be the bone of contention he it used to be called
'fall' in the UK two or three hundred years ago, but since the Colonies
began successfully to mangle the language, we all learned to speak
Latin, consequently adopting the word 'Auctumnus': however, visiting
Colonials taking a late holiday soon tripped over it and broke it,
making off with the 'c+us', resulting in the present 'Autumn' over here,
and an epidemic of cussing over there.

HTH

--
Rusty