Old 14-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger
Phillips, Macmillan, ISBN 0 330 26441 9

Well worth buying, and it's not too dear.

The Collins _Gem Guide_ is cheap and clear: probably good enough for
most of us.

I've got the Collins Guide to Mushrooms and Toadstools, and it lists one
very poisonous species as edible (Paxillus involutus), and another with
a warning that 'some people' may find it poisonous or even deadly,
following that with the coment that it is widely eaten after special
treatment.

The illustrations are pretty-well useless, too.

I've not met the Collins Gem Guide book. No doubt I shall, as I've quite
a collection of boks on fungi, and it's mushrooming...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/