Old 14-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Emrys Davies

"cosmos" wrote in message

in the garden border last year when i was digging i kept digging up

what
looked like leatherjackets i know cutworms though look familir
but at end of year every year we have probs wiv loads of daddy long
legs on garages behind our garden the lawn is thinner then usual could
they be damaging it
what can i do if i use something will it kill my border plants?

Lisa,

You can check to see if you have leather jackets in your lawn by wetting
an area, placing a piece of black plastic over that area and then
inspect under the covering the next day to see if any leather jackets
have surfaced.

Look carefully because these legless, browny-green, creatures tend to
blend in with the colour of the grass. Starlings love them and they will
work tirelessly to find them down amongst the roots of the grass.

You will need to hold the covering in place with suitable weights so
that daylight is precluded.

These sites may help: http://whatcom.wsu.edu/cranefly/faq.htm

http://www.weedcontroluk.com/Special...r_jackets.html

Regards,