Old 14-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "alan kearn" contains these words:

Does putting small diameter gravel (1/8th. to 3/16ths. on top of
compost in a plant pot deter snails and slugs from attacking my plants.

No. ISTR that if you surround them with a ring of bare copper wire
(don't use the laquered stuff!), that keeps them off.

Unfortunately, you may find that the slugs are already in the soil itself.

As far as slug pellets are concerned I have tried them and they always
seem to get buried under the compost when I water the pots.

Cut food tubs (margarine, etc) or use the trays ready meals come on, and
water them from beneath.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/