Old 14-05-2005, 10:49 PM
axemanchris

"Jack" wrote in message
newsbohe.62078$HR1.53068@clgrps12...
Again, I really doubt it's the frogs too ..unless together they ganged up
on a fish. And I don't think it's a bullfrog as they have remained small
since first finding them last summer. Only difference is they have
multiplied to three from the single one I found last year. They don't

make
any sound at all, and their faces are more pointed than flat. Unlike a
bullfrog these are pretty delicate looking creatures. Except for the 2
small fry (I think they're imported trout from a friend's wild pond) there
appear to be no young goldies this season. But the remaining 3 have grown
twice their original 3". And they sure are bright! Just a shame we lost
the original 3 skubunkins as they were the same size and quite beautiful.
Sniff.

Shubunkins are my favourites. I know how you feel :-(

Jacqui

"axemanchris" wrote in message
. ..

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi.
It's year 2 and just did a full water change on our little 300 gallon

pond.
Found a few surprises when the pool was emptied.
First off, about a week ago I was out of town for 6 days and when I

came
back I decided to do the water change as it was pretty mungy as I left.

At
the time of leaving there were 5 fish (from the original 6) that

survived
our mild winter: 3 goldies, 2 skubunkins(?) Now, after doing the

water
change I found only 3 goldies, 2 tiny fingerlings (look like imported

trout
from a friends wild pond), and 3 - 3" frogs!
My concern is, what happened to the 2 skubunkins while I was away? No
bodies found at the bottom. Neighbourhood cats? ..nah, the pond sides

are
too steep and no plants we disturbed. Not aware of any raccoons in the

area
either, and again nothing disturbed. So, do frogs eat 6" fish? Are

the
2
tiny fingerlings that aggressive? How about the goldies as all 3 of
those
survived. There are lots of tall everygreens surrounding the property
and
thought there might be predators in those trees. But haven't seen any
eagles or herrons, etc. Perhaps they dropped by when they detected no
humans around for the week?

Your thoughts?
Thanks.
Jack

Not sure what would have happened to your fish, but 3" frogs cannot eat

6" fish. I have had female fish die from the effects of spawning and
their
floating bodies removed from the pond by "something" (probably a

raccoon).
Do you know what sort of frogs you have? Unless they're bullfrogs they
probably won't get so big you have to worry about them eating all your
fish.

Jacqui