Old 14-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Joyce of Pendle wrote:
A pair of blackbirds abandoned their nest in my garden during this
week's cold spell. Are they likely to come back to it? (I still see
them in the garden.) Should I remove the eggs?

Joyce of Pendle.

I doubt the cold snap was the reason, do you have any neighbouring cats?
Blackbirds are dedicated mothers and a cold snap would make her extra
careful about her brood. It is far more likely that something scared her
off - so much so, she may not return.

I would seek advice from a local expert (there is an RSPB reserve at
Southport (Marshside) which appears to be the closest to you - you could try
contacting them (01704 536378) - I wouldn't contact the RSPCA, I really
don't have any time for them at all; not since I worked there and they
euthanased three perfectly healthy dogs because they were "too old and
no-one would want them". There was absolutely nothing else wrong with them,
phyically they were in the peak of condition. I didn't find out until I
returned from holiday and a colleague told me what had happened - we /both/
quit that same day.)

Anyway, seek advice; my gut instincts tell me that, after a week, the eggs
would be dead. There is one other reason she could have abandoned them -
they could have been infertile. Very occasionally, for some reason, the
female isn't fertilised properly and she lays a clutch of infertile eggs. It
could be that this was one such occasion.

Just my 2p (ex VAT)'s worth... ;o)

Sarah