Old 15-05-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Have Any Tips On Building A Pergola?

I've been searching around for tips on building a pergola. While I've
found some good ideas, I was wondering if anyone could share some of
their "hands-on" tips.

I'm want to build a free-standing box pergola over my
soon-to-be-constructed patio, a 13'x11' patio that will be made with
pavers.

Here are a few questions I have:

1) What type of wood should I use? Is cedar be a better choice that
treated lumber?

2) I'm not going to use paint. What is the best wood protectant for a
hot, humid and damp Florida climate?

3) Should I just sink the poles like you would a fence pole, with a bag
of cement?

Any ideas or tips you can share will be greatly appriciated.

Patrick