Old 15-05-2005, 03:39 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have a very small pond, about 120gal and small water fall. We live in N.
Illinois. 4 Koi, 3 Schubunkins in pond. They always swim aound, even in
winter, and beg for food. I use a floating water heater and all have now
survived three winters OK. The heater is now out of the pond. Ten days ago
we had a cold snap, down to 25oF. The pond did not freeze, but the fish
went into hiding and have not come out from under a stone shelf. This is
abnormal behaviour. I changed 60% of the water adding chlorine and
chloramine remover. Still no movement. Is this normal? What should I do?

Thanks,
Martin

Whenever there is a fish or pond problem the first thing you do is CHECK
YOUR WATER QUALITY, do not do a water change, especially one so big, until
you've checked the parameters, you may just make a bad situation worst.

This is what you need to check: Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, KH, and tell us the
temp. report the numbers and most likely we can tell you more. If your test
kits are over a year old their accuracy is suspect, if you're using strips,
their accuracy is suspect. If the test doesn't give you a number, the
accuracy is suspect.

Nothing drives me more nuts than to be called out to a pond because there
is "something wrong with my fish" and find out that the ponder has done
some major change, either medicated or water changes, before I get there.
Some days I feel like people are saying, "Let's see just how good that KHA
program was?" s ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~