Old 15-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been searching around for tips on building a pergola. While I've
found some good ideas, I was wondering if anyone could share some of
their "hands-on" tips.

I'm want to build a free-standing box pergola over my
soon-to-be-constructed patio, a 13'x11' patio that will be made with
pavers.

Here are a few questions I have:

1) What type of wood should I use? Is cedar be a better choice that
treated lumber?

2) I'm not going to use paint. What is the best wood protectant for a
hot, humid and damp Florida climate?

3) Should I just sink the poles like you would a fence pole, with a bag
of cement?

Any ideas or tips you can share will be greatly appriciated.

I would recommend that you browse the book racks at you local home
improvement store. They will have several nice books on garden structures
with discussions on wood selection, construction, and maintenance.