Old 15-05-2005, 09:16 AM
doug

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Harold Walker" wrote:

Out of curiosity am wondering if anyone grafts tomato plants these
days....HW

The only thing I've seen is U.S newspaper adverts for "THE AMAZING
POMATO!!! GROWS TOMATOES ON THE TOP AND POTATOES UNDERGROUND!!"

********
Many years ago when I was a boy it was quite common to find tomato plants on
the wasteland heaps out the back, some with potatos on the roots.
I think the two species are of the same genus.
Doug.
********

Grafted, of course, and neither part as productive as separate plants.
Always touted as some marvelous new breakthrough. But maybe we colonials
are more gullible.

I'm still trying to get successful apple grafts, and they're supposed to
be
dead easy.

********
They are. You have to buy in the appropriate rootstock. These can be for
dwarfed trees or larger. Naturally, in a smaller garden one chooses the
smaller-breed rootstock.
These rootstocks have code words to identify their habit. I still have some
small apple and pear and plum trees in good condition and some fruit well,
some don't.
Discussing the plums, most of which are obstinate or tardy, - I think it's
because I haven't got a proper pollination mate nearby. They are all about
eight to ten years old. One of the best plums is said to be Kirkes Blue.
Mine has produced one plum so far. Same, more or less, for Warwickshire
Drooper, Coe's Golden Drop, and Rene Claude Violette.
Orleans and Victoria do well and are now budded. I have another plum but
the label is missing and I can't remebember it. I'll look it up when I have
time. It's dark purple and and the fruit cooks well when young and is sweet
when fully mature.
I can highly recommend Greengages. I have one called Denistoun's Superb ,
the fruit skin is naturally green but it is not tough and the inside
structure is a dream! - sweet and succulent.
Doug.
********

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic