Old 15-05-2005, 10:19 AM
doug

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Back then (talking of the 30's)Moneymaker was one of the more popular
tomatoes if my memory serves me correctly...H

Only commercially or for those with no idea of what a tomato should
taste like.

Well, those with no idea that tomatoes *HAVE* any flavour...

********
I am now in a position where I do not *Have* to grow anything. But force of
habit compels me to grow tomatoes. I like eating tomatoes so that helps.
I am not enamoured of the old soldiers like Moneymaker, Alicante et al, -
they don't taste the same.
Can anyone recommend any available tomato of the old breeds that are sweet
to eat.
When the small Golden Delicious first were introduced they were juicy and
sweet, Now they are just juicy.
The mass production of tomatoes for Supermarkets has ruined the taste. The
texture is tough, they look ripe and ready for eating but they are not
properly ripe inside. When set aside for a week they become all red inside
but the taste is missing.
Grown under "perfect conditions " in doctored water, the Markets have slowly
trained the housewife to accept them as the norm.
I want something much better than that. Mine are grown in soil, in a
greenhouse raised bed , in the North West, - west of the Lake District.
The soil is changed and is mixed three-yearly in a concrete mixer. Fresh
loam or soil: Peat: ( equal quantities.):
A small bucket of sand, - (careful! - too much sand can quickly over-thin
the texture!,): Then another equal quantity of the aforementioned, of
rotted compost, - mostly tree leaves. (Which are a b''''''' to rot, whether
soaked or not, even in proper B&Q plastic bins and in full sun.
Also a soupcon of Phostrogen or Base Fertiliser.
For real compost you have to have it heat up and only very rarely have I had
one steam up.
I don't worry too much -. this year's leaves are not rotted too well but I
am expecting the worms to help out ... again!.
Doug.
********
--
Rusty