Old 15-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these
words:

Gary...."We" over here are far behind the 'Brits' when it comes

gardening....I see things/methods/techniques being introduced

over
here as
being new 'discoveries'....perhaps new here but ancient over the
other side
of the big pond.

(A personal belief....the best/most productive farmers in the

world
are in
the USA but as far as gardening is concerned that honor belongs

the other
side of the water).

I wouldn't agree about farming. It's done on a much larger scale,
true, but have a look at yields per acre and I think you'll find

the
picture changes.

Bearing in mind of course, that varieties suitable for growing

'Over
There' are not always ideal for 'Over Here'.

--
Rusty
Open the creaking gate to make a horrid.squeak, then lower the

Must admit my belief is based on total quantity produced..H

Ah, right! Yield per "business unit", or, still less, aggregate
national production give no idea of yield per unit area or return on
capital invested. On the whole, I understand grain and livestock
production in many regions of Aus and N America is at per-acre yields
which would put most UK farmers out of business, but is compensated
by much larger holdings and lower price of land.

UK agriculture is technically very proficient and efficient, and
responds pretty rapidly to market and regulatory pressures (many of
which, mind you, are artificial and not always desirable -- but that
applies world-wide in differing ways). I can't remember the last time
I met an unintelligent British farmer: they've been squeezed out.

--
Mike.