Old 15-05-2005, 03:32 PM
William Valavanis

Raft and Sinuous styles.

IF the original trunk, now horizontal, is in a straight line the term
is raft.

IF the original trunk, now horizontal, has movement or is curved (most
are) the term is sinuous. With the sinuous style greater perspective
can be created. Also if the trunks (and some heavier branches too) are
also lying on the soil surface, even more perspective can be created.

MOST of the "raft" styles I have seen, especially in North America, are
not raft, but actually sinuous style. I guess people do not like to use
the correct term which is sinuous.

Advantages of raft and Sinuous styles:
1. Easy to transplant since the trunks are connected.
2. Easy to care for since the trunks are connected together and easier
to water.
3. All the trees are genetically uniform so all the foliage will be
identical.
4. All the trees "should" flower, leaf out, fruit and die at one time.

Hope this helps.

Bill

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++