Old 15-05-2005, 08:17 PM
DoraC

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

flowering seems to be primarily on second season branches. We lived with
this a few years, but the flowering occurrec higher and higher each year
until we finally realized that to keep it fairly low (if this is desirable
for one) cut the heck out of the old growth and encourage the lower, even
suckers sometimes, branches. (now most flowering is less than four or five
feet tall...... was ten or twelve, with bare leaves on lower limbs.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Lynn

I posted this earlier, Lynn, but it's not showing up in OE, so here goes:

Hmmm. That's interesting. This year, the bush has finally had bloom all
over but I'll watch to see if it shows the traits you mention. Many years
ago, my parents had huge lilac bushes that seldom bloomed - I remember my
Dad said the old growth should be cut out - but he was no longer up to it.
He was quite a gardener - too bad I didn't take much interest at that time.

Dora