Old 15-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Sacha

On 15/5/05 15:57, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Christine Rowe wrote:
Hi
Can anyone tell me how to make a wisteria into a standard tree,do I
leave the lower shoots on it until it has reached the required

height
or do I cut them back as it's growing?

Any help would be much appreciated
TIA Chris

I don't think a wistaria will stand up on its own: standards I've
seen aren't really standards in that way. They need a big, and very
durable, metal umbrella thing to support them. I suppose it would
need to be made of real wrought iron so it wouldn't rust away in the
first twenty years, and that's expensive, if you can even get it. I'd
take out side shoots till the plant reaches the level you want.

We have ours tied to a strong stake and take out the side shoots, yes. But
we're going to allow it to billow down onto the lawn, which is an effect I'm
particularly fond of, rather than to make it a tidy shape.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)