Old 16-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Eyebright Eyebright is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrafndot
We had a 6 ft black bamboo which first seemed to die off then sent up massive shoots to about 12ft. This flourished for a year and then showed signs of water starvation and the leaves died. We lifted it out of its large (2ft diameter)pot and it is seriously root bound so much so that the roots cannot be separated. Some of the roots look like black bamboo themselves. We are re-potting it and adding sharp sand but are at a loss as to whether or how we could separate the roots, except with a power saw. Can anybody suggest a way we can save this beautiful plant. Thanks Rachel
black bamboo from what i gather is not particularly hardy in UK but given a warm spot will probably do ok......i'd look for somewhere out of full sun but not completly shaded.....2 foot diameter is not very big for a healthy bamboo...the best container i found for the price was some black plastic things from homebase with more like 3 foot diameter...you need to leave a gap of at least 2 or 3 inches between the top of the container and the top of the compost...when watering you need to fill this gap with water....drainage holes needed of course...you need to water at least once a week ..preferably twice...dont try separating the roots...feed it through out the growing season...last winters very mild december and january followed by a very cold february was not ideal for your bamboo...they very classy though black stems...good luck..!!