Old 15-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Kev Bailey

I disagree with Bill a bit on this. A sinuous tree is any tree that has a
shape with repeating curves, whether it be a raft or an upright repeated S
Satsuki etc. (Dictionary .com says Characterized by many curves or turns;
winding. From Latin sinuosus, from sinus, curve.) So a sinuous raft is still
primarily a raft, just one that snakes.

In a bonsai pot I much prefer the sinuous raft to a straight one, even
though I've seen many straight ones in nature but never a good sinuous one,
yet.

I'm currently wiring many side braches on garden trees into sinuous shapes,
so that they may make good air layers for rafts in a few years time.

I completely agree on the advantages that Bill cites.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

MOST of the "raft" styles I have seen, especially in North America, are not
raft, but actually sinuous style. I guess people do not like to use the
correct term which is sinuous.

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++