Old 15-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Gill Passman

"~Roy~" wrote in message
Gill

What part of the country are you in? Folks routinely get by with ponds
of 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep up in Rhode Island and Pennnsylvania during
winter months, and not all of them use a heater, but do maintain an
opening in the ice. A simple air pump will work in most cases to keep
a hole in the ice........but an external temporary shelter made out of
PVC pipe framework covered in plastic sheeting does a lot of good as
well. It doe snot matter if your pond is 4 feet deep and it only
freezes to 3 feet the fish will still be ok..............with or
without a heater. Running a heater is not cheap.......

I'm in the South East of England...I have seen frost freeze at least 18
inches of stagnent water (in a wheelbarrow). Plus I had a pond here once
that was around 30inches and the ice didn't seem to kill the fish - the
location did
:-( ....under trees - a lesson hard learnt that has put me off for a good 5
years from trying again...this time I think we have the location right...

Running a heater is not a cheap option but when we already run 6 on the
tropicals I guess one more won't hurt.....I did the ball thing the first
year of my original pond and it seemed to work....

If I get coerced, (which seems quite likely) into the Koi, from what I've
read they would actually appreciate the extra depth....what do you think?

BTW if I gardened naked the colour I would go is blue - LOL

Gill