Old 12-02-2003, 01:19 AM
AST

Default Soil and pest question

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have spent the winter clearing an area for new vegetable beds. The
land had been covered with brambles, ivy and grass for about 15 years.

The soil is moderately sandy and alkaline. I've added composted horse
manure and some multi-purpose compost.

What soil deficiencies or pests am I likely to encounter?

Well, firstly you should make sure that all remnants of any perennial roots
have been removed, as they can regenerate - this is especially vital when
dealing with weeds like bindweed. - But presumably, since you've not
mentioned it, it'll probably bee fine. As for pests, it really depends on
your area. Soil deficiencies, well, to ensure you have all bases covered,
add some well rotted, composted green manures too, if you can.

Are you going be Organic? What are you going to grow?