Old 15-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote
after Bob Hobden writes
The chap wants Buttercups, he WANTS Buttercups ? !!!!!..........and
nettles.......

Now calm down Bob......

Steve, if you are anywhere near me I have a few on my allotments, also
some
other "wild flowers" you might like...mutter, mutter, mutter............
:-)

Yes, do calm down Bob. Our organic system of gardening depends on having
plenty of nettles available for composting, insect repellent infusions,
liquid plant feed etc. etc. For further details see the urg nettle FAQ
at: http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

AND we welcome buttercups on our lawn and in our wildflower/wildlife
areas, along with many other naturally grown plants.
--

Nettles are OK, although not on where one cultivates, it's too painful if
you grab a handful with other weeds. Good for the wildlife especially

Not tried "organic" chemicals for pest control so can't comment.

But Buttercups, these I wage a constant war on, if you don't get the whole
root out whilst digging they come back up again and they multiply
alarmingly. Amazes me that anyone would want such things near a cultivated
garden plot.

In a totally separate wildlife garden then OK.
Our site is a 9.6 acre wildlife garden except for 4 plots 2 of which are
ours so we don't have to think about giving wildlife somewhere, it's more
about fighting to keep wildlife off our plots/veg.
--
Regards
Bob