Old 16-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Ray

Ah! But it was your FIRST orchid! (and you didn't know anything back then)

Telling someone what medium to use is just as bad. Diatomite is a great
medium for some. For me, in my greenhouse, it's the kiss of death. I
"manage" with sphagnum, while others find it to be the kiss of death, and
another group finds it "ideal."

Sorry, Burr. No matter what, I believe that you should 1) analyze your own,
unique situation, and make a decision based upon that, and 2) consult with
locals who may have conditions much closer to yours than the online vendor
who happens to live (and grow his plants) in the ideal paradise of...

wrote in message
Point well taken, I completely understand what your saying. Sometimes
when you read instructions it says to water like every 7 to 10 days.
Well it really depends on how fast the plant dries out. You could tell
people the basics like what growing medium to use (not dirt!) and to
poor off the excess water and such. I really needed this when I got my
first orchid. Burr