Old 16-05-2005, 10:51 AM
hrafndot hrafndot is offline
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebright
black bamboo from what i gather is not particularly hardy in UK but given a warm spot will probably do ok......i'd look for somewhere out of full sun but not completly shaded.....2 foot diameter is not very big for a healthy bamboo...the best container i found for the price was some black plastic things from homebase with more like 3 foot diameter...you need to leave a gap of at least 2 or 3 inches between the top of the container and the top of the compost...when watering you need to fill this gap with water....drainage holes needed of course...you need to water at least once a week ..preferably twice...dont try separating the roots...feed it through out the growing season...last winters very mild december and january followed by a very cold february was not ideal for your bamboo...they very classy though black stems...good luck..!!
Thanks for your advice, I will try a bigger container. If you think it is inadvisable to attempt to split this bamboo root system then I will abide by this advice, it woudl be a hefty task. We took it out of the pot yesterday to see what was going on and repotted it (in the same pot for the time being) with sharp sand. I think it is feeling more cheerful now it is warmer. There is still green showing in the leaves. Wish me luck.

Rachel