Old 16-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Terry Collins

peter wrote:
Hi all

My new garden needs revitalising, slowly, I am getting there.

I have worms around the garden, in the moist areas. The soil looks and
smells beautiful. The gardens have been neglected for years and I am fixing
them up.

What can I do to encourage the worms to return?
What can I do to encourage them to grow?

Feed them.

This is how I do it,
1) collect all vegetable scraps and clean liquids (tea, vege water, etc)
scraps from kitchen in bucket.
2) dig hole in garden where I want worms.
3) empty a bucket or two of above in there
4) cover
5) repeat.

Do I need to 'worm farm' and then introduce them to the garden?

Nope.

The worms you buy require much more food than the naturally occuring
worms. I am also finding a lot of the nature worms curled up in balls
atm, rather than moving through soil.