Old 12-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Steve Harris

Default Soil and pest question

In article ,
(AST) wrote:

you should make sure that all remnants of any perennial roots
have been removed,

What method do you find works? On one patch, I put the soil through a
1/2 inch sieve and it's still got lots of stringy bits :-(

My experience last year of doing an ornamental garden on a similar site
is that mulching with weed control fabric and bark has been 99%
successful (dog rose punctures the fabric)

To try and avoid a need for fabric with the veg, I've dug and sifted a
LOT.

Are you going be Organic? What are you going to grow?

Not to excess :-) (plan) Growing beans, courgettes, tomato, sprouts,
radish, salsify, hamburg parsley, land cress, tomatillos or cape
gooseberry