Old 16-05-2005, 12:10 PM
pammyT

MM wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:07:22 +0200, martin wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:36 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:43 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

MM wrote:
Around here in the Fens there are dykes everywhere. The amount of
water going for free is incredible. (My water supply is metered.)
I thought, why can't I get one of those old-fashioned stirrup
pumps and pump some out into a container. But then I thought, ah,
there's sure to be someone who'll say, you can't do that. What's
the law?

It seems you can help yourself to up to 20 cubic metres a day,
which is a lot for a stirrup-pump! After that, you need an
abstraction licence. The following site took ages to load just
now, but that may be a transient condition:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...75517/?lang=_e

But the dyke may be some sort of private property, so I'd check.
Not that you could use a stirrup-pump anyhow, but I know what you
mean.

Goodness! 20 cubic metres a day! That'd be enough to have a bath as
well occasionally! Crikey. Thanks for that. Very interesting. Now
all I need to do is work out a way of fitting a tank into my car!
Although I did see that the Erde trailers outside Halfords are very
cheap. The smaller one was only £149. You'd get a lot of water in a
plastic tank on the back of one of those. Of course, you'd get
about 150 cubic metres of Anglian water for that kind of money
instead, but it's the idea of getting something for nothing that
appeals.

Have you worked out how much 20 cubic metres of water weighs?

I'm not about to extract all 20 in one go! A water butt from B&Q
contains around 200 litres. That would do for starters.

By the time you have used petrol to drive to the dyke, and the trailer with
suitable container to hold the water, driven back with a full load, it would
have been cheaper to pay fro metered water.

purebred poultry
www.geocities.com/fenlandfowl