Old 16-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Des Higgins

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
news
This morning, while yanking out some ground elder, I suddenly became
aware that I was surrounded by small wasps. Body shape was more or
less typical of our native English wasp, but it was approximately a
quarter to a third smaller. The body colour was predominantly black
with bright yellow bands without the typical vee-formation along the
dorsal surface of the abdomen. The antennae were matt reddish brown
and slightly lighter at the tips as opposed to the glossy black of
both European and English wasps.

Compared to the common wasps, they are very nervous and fly away at
the slightest movement. As with common wasps, they were carrying out
typical hunting manoeuvers, carefully searching for small insects and
larvae amongst the foliage. They seem to exhibit social behaviour as
with common wasps, but appear totally non-aggressive. In a way they
seem quite charming little things. Any ideas - please? I'm quite
familiar with the 'false wasps' so I can't see them being any of the
hover flies or similar.

There is a whole slew (well maybe 100 species in the UK; I cannot remember
more precise numbers) of "solitary wasps" which look roughly like social
wasps although most are smaller and neater looking. They catch insects and
bury them in small holes with eggs. As their name suggests, they are
solitary (or live in pairs) although you occasionally find a concentration
of them. In my experience, I have usually only come across them one at a
time; what you described, sounded like quite a lot. They are pretty and
their behaviour(s) are fascinating and sometimes bizarre. They go to great
lengths to make sure that no one (no other wasp) has hijacked their
burrows/eggs. Lucky you to have a bunch of them.

Des

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.