Old 05-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Ladyslipper

Anne wrote in message
Heard on the BBC this morning that the ladyslipper is on the endangered

list
in the UK and prior to Kew Gardens getting involved there was only one

left
in the UK.....there are so many local names that I ask the
following.........is that the same plant I have growing wild in my garden?

Cypripedium reginae

No, take a look at..........

www.rareplants.co.uk/cypriped/calceo2.htm

Quite different in flower colour and distribution, your's is from America.
If it's naturalised in your garden you are a very lucky person (or an expert
with them?).

The last remaining clump of truly wild ones was being guarded in a field
somewhere in Yorkshire I believe but has now set seed and the resultant seed
has been grown at Kew (The Sainsbury Collection?)
There is one nursery in the UK selling plants of C.calceolus, presumably
from European mainland sources.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.