Old 16-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
I'm want to build a free-standing box pergola over my
soon-to-be-constructed patio, a 13'x11' patio that will be made with
pavers.

Last year I built a free standing pergola using standard 1x pine boards
and 2x2 posts (2x4s ripped in half). It's a reduced size because I don't
have a lot of room but it makes for a nice trellis for vines. Mine is
anchored in a base made of a 2x4 framed box that is held down by 4 22"
planters. I worried a bit about wind shear but after watching it for one
year, it was very sturdy in 50+mph wins and the planters that hold it
down make its center of gravity very low. The cross braces are 1x3.5" so
they don't catch much wind. I'm sure a direct hit by a tornado (or
possibly a hurricane) would knock it over but it would get knocked over
even if it were anchored to the roof. I used two coats of stain and two
coats of Minwax polyurethane and it still looks new after one Chicago
winter.

Here's a pic taken late fall last year:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/pergola.jpg