Old 16-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Klara

In message , Christine Rowe
writes
Can anyone tell me how to make a wisteria into a standard tree,do I
leave the lower shoots on it until it has reached the required height
or do I cut them back as it's growing?

We have one that turned itself into a standard all on its own without
climbing up on anything. Not sure how it did it: I took my eyes off the
runners for a minute - well, more like a couple of months - and lo and
behold, a standard. Must have been stems twining around each other and
staying vertical somehow.... This was last summer, and it's flowering
its socks off this year. Mind you, its parent is a pretty old, with what
must be big roots. But I never would have thought it would flower so
soon.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin