Old 16-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Alan Holmes

"BAC" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I follow a procedure which is laid down by a governmenr department
called
The Forestry Commission, if you have any problems with that procedure

suggest instead of trying to slag people off here, you contact them

and
put your concerns to them.

You are advocating drowning, which does not appear to be advocated by
the Forestry Commission in any of its currently applicable documents
referring to grey squirrel control.

I think the most applicable may be
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcpn004.pdf/$FILE/fcpn004.pdf
specific to the control of grey squirrels in woodlands, which, in

respect
of
live trapping, recommends that the squirrels be removed from the trap

and
killed with a blow to the head from a blunt instrument, or taken to a

vet
for humane destruction. It goes so far as to say no other form of

killing
of
live trapped squirrels should be attempted (and that includes shooting
them).

I have asked Alan to provide a reference for the 'drowning' advice he
claims
to have had from the FC, but none has yet been forthcoming. I suspect

any
such advice may turn out to have been superseded.

I am not going to put myself at risk in order to follow some idea put by
people who have never had to deal with these pests.

That is the Forestry Commission you are talking about, the same
organisation
you previously claimed to be advocating drowning as a means of disposal.

If you are unwilling to put yourself at risk to do the job humanely,
perhaps
you should not be doing it at all?

In fact, I invite you do come round and deal with the next one I catch!

No, thanks, I have no wish to kill your grey squirrels. But I expect you
could find professional pest controllers in your area who would be willing
to do the job properly, for a price, and at no risk to yourself.

Is it normal to pay someone to catch rats and mice?