Old 16-05-2005, 09:53 PM
hrafndot hrafndot is offline
Registered User

Location: London

Quote Eyebright[/i][/color]

I found bamboos a complete pain in pots and was watering at least twice a
day to prevent drying out (which they hate) since putting them in the ground
they have been fine, even poorly looking ones that had lost most of their
leaves recovered. The black stemmed ones is less vigorous than some but not
really tender, but without heat the stem colour may not be as black as it
can be.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks for this Charlie, I am discovering how much of a pain they can be, but it is really rewarding to see shoots growing about 6" a day!!! The stems are a lovely black colour. I was scared of planting bamboo in the ground as I had heard horror stories and I believe that my particular bamboo is well capable of running rampant. I'm still scared but am willing to find a HUGE pot and find ways to keep it watered well. Its a very elegant plant. I'm waiting to find it waving its branches at my third floor neighbour. Have you ever tried splitting bamboo roots?

Rachel