Old 17-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Peter H

"Timothy" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:53:36 +0000, Rob Sullivan wrote:

Hello,
My lawn is infested with dandelions. Last summer I used this removal

tool,
hoping that would remove the roots and get rid of them for good. Now

this
spring my lawn is covered in dandelions again!

Any ideas on what I can do. I live in a subdivsion close to city water

so
I'm looking for a safe way to kill them without using crazy pesticides.

Any ideas or tips would be appriciated. Thanks,
Rob Sullivan

Good day Rob. The safest way to remove them in mechanical. The best way to
do it is to remove them in the early spring or early fall. After you
remove the dandelion, take a handful of grass seed and spread it in the
empty area left from the weed. Refrain from mowing for a few weeks if you
can so the seed can sprout.

The best way to keep the weeds out of the lawn is to have a higher mowing
hight, 2 1/2 to 3 inches is best and a good fertilizer program.
Fertilizing in the mid spring and again in the early fall and you should
have nice looking turf.

Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

The higher you cut the grass the fewer grass plants you will have per square
foot. Long term this may not help to reduce weeds as a thicker lawn will do
a better job of preventing infestation.

Also the potassium in fertilizer will overstimulate the production of
dandelions. My rule of thumb is that you shouldn't fertilize if you're not
gonna' spray the weeds.

I would suggest that you spot-spray the pesky little guys with a premixed
sol'n. Don't use weed'n'feed as it ends up everywhere.

Peter H