Old 11-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Howard

Default More on Pipe Sizes

The water as it comes out of the pump is in a small, but fast moving stream.
Water moving at this speed will encounter a lot of friction in the pipe.
If you upsize the pipe where it comes out of the pump the water will slow
down, and since slower moving water has less frictional losses the pump
will move more water.

The frictional losses are additive.

Howard

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...
I have been thinking today about our conversation about pipe sizes a week

or
so ago, and I have decided I am still confused. If most pumps have 2-inch
fittings, what good does it do to have 4-inch pipe everywhere else? Isn't
the 2-inch connection the limiting factor?

My pond will have a bottom drain and a skimmer that will empty into a VF.

pump in a pump house will pull water from the VF and dump it back into the
main pond. Currently my plan is to use 4-inch pipe from skimmer/bottom

drain
to VF, 4-inch pipe from VF to pump house, and 4-inch pipe as a return to

the
pond. I have not selected my pump yet, so I am not sure what I will need
there.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla