Old 17-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Sorry about your pain. Green is the color of nutrient success! People
seem to have given you good advice about plants and UV. We run both as
needed. This year I left the UV off as the season warmed up and before
the plants took off. Result: algae in a 6 yr old pond. UV is on and
the algae are gone. Shortly, I will try killing the UV again...plants
ramping up. Our pond is 4,000 gallons, so we do not even think about
filtering our an algae bloom. You could do it and soon have the algae
reduced. They will, however, come back if the nutrients are there.
Plants, UV!

Water change does not help! New nutrients. Food does feed algae...but
then, fish like to eat. Fish don't care about green water. babies get
help surviving when visibility is less.

Jim

Bowhunter wrote:
I have a pond I just got started about 6 weeks ago. It's 5' x 8' and
22" deep at the deepest point. I calculated it to be around 450
gallons. I have 5 Goldfish and 3 Koi in the pond. So far I only have 1
Iris plant. I'm running a 750 gph pump with fountain and a waterfall.
My water is turning very green and murkey. I can only see about 6"
deep into the water. The pond get's sun most of the day. I feed my
fish 2 times a day with shrimp pellets. I've tried Accu-clear and it
only seems to have gotten worse. I put a clean filter near my
waterfall to filter it before it drops into the pond. In 1 hour the
filter turned dark green. Do I need to do water changes? Will this
green water harm my fish? Any suggestions about how to get rid of this
green algae?

Thanks in advance