Old 17-05-2005, 06:18 AM
pete

pete wrote:

I always thought hoss poo was lacking in Nitrogen but lately I've been
thinking that it has enough for it to be considered a good all round
fertiliser if its incorporated with enough soil to allow the growth of
beneficial bacteria, fungi and insects to break it down sufficiently to
"allow" it to release those nutrients for plants to use when they need it.

I was searching for Quandong stuff and got sidetracked and found this
site which deals with mycorrhiza fungi.

http://www.ffp.csiro.au/research/mycorrhiza/intro.html

Which I found particularly interesting cos I reckon the fungi I am
finding in the horse poo enhanced rows (I showed the fungi in one pic on
my web site) are the reason things are growing.

Also this site http://www.global-garden.com.au/burnley/may97dte.htm

....below are a couple of quotes form that site

" Fungi are organisms consists of very fine filaments called hyphae that
can spread for metres through the soil taking up nutrients. Plants in a
mycorrhizal relationship have increased uptake of nitrogen, phosphorus,
micronutrients and water due to the large surface area of the fungal
hyphae. The result of this increased uptake is larger and healthier
plants. Unlike plants, fungi do not contain chlorophyll and therefore
need a source of energy. In return for providing nutrients to the plant
the fungi receive sugars."

and

"Soil chemistry and structure

Mycorrhiza can improve plant growth and reduce the need for large
amounts of fertiliser but have other benefits as well. Mycorrhizal fungi
can influence soil chemistry and structure. They produce an array of
chemicals such as enzymes and organic acids that are secreted into the
soil. These chemicals break down otherwise unavailable minerals that are
then absorbed by the fungus and transferred to the plant. The structure
of the soil is improved by the presence of mycorrhizal hyphae as they
spread through the soil binding particles and reducing soil erosion. The
presence of mycorrhiza and the production of the chemical residues help
to form stable soil aggregates that bind organic matter and associated
nutrients, improving soil structure and stability"

I knew I was on the right path with the soil Structure thing but I had
no idea of the proper names for what was happening.

Hope you find it as interesting as I did ....if not ... if it's actually
very boring..... it just proves what a nerd I am dunnit?

Pete