Old 17-05-2005, 05:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:36:34 -0500, (DD DDD) wrote:

I have a 300 gallon pond with a oversized filter and pump. (1800 gph)
While it keeps the water clear it also makes a lot of water movement. I
am going to waterfall it soon. I was told that shutting off the pump 1
hour twice a day would not kill the good bio bacteria. I need these 2
hours so I can feed my fish and turtles. I also was told by a petshop
that even 12 hours would not hurt the bio filter. What do you all think?
Thank you

Bio-bacteria starts to die &/or go dormant after about 20 minutes, it needs
food an air that stagnant water can't provide, after about 45 minutes to an
hour, anaerobic bacteria will start to feed on the dying aerobic
bacteria.... all temperature dependent time wise. If my filter is off for
45 minutes or longer I always pump off to waste to rinse out the stagnant
water.

If you really want to know what's going on with your system. Test the water
quality just before you turn it off, and then just before you turn it on,
then an hour later and so on. That will give you more accurate information
on your system than our guessing. Personally I run my system 24/7 and
highly recommend that way of doing it. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a