Old 17-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Dwayne

Good Morning. It has been my experience that if I lay cardboard or
newspaper on the ground the worms will come. They eat the material that the
cardboard and paper is made of as it deteriorates. Plus, it helps keep the
weeds down if laid between the rows. It also helps keep the moisture in the
ground like using mulch.

I wouldn't water deep terribly often just to attract worms. When you water,
they come out of the ground because they will drown if they don't. I would
water normally. It could be that they left that area for that reason.

Good luck. Dwayne

"peter" wrote in message

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
peter wrote:
Hi all

My new garden needs revitalising, slowly, I am getting there.

I have worms around the garden, in the moist areas. The soil looks and
smells beautiful. The gardens have been neglected for years and I am
fixing them up.

What can I do to encourage the worms to return?
What can I do to encourage them to grow?

Feed them.

This is how I do it,
1) collect all vegetable scraps and clean liquids (tea, vege water, etc)
scraps from kitchen in bucket.
2) dig hole in garden where I want worms.
3) empty a bucket or two of above in there
4) cover
5) repeat.

Do I need to 'worm farm' and then introduce them to the garden?

Nope.

The worms you buy require much more food than the naturally occuring
worms. I am also finding a lot of the nature worms curled up in balls
atm, rather than moving through soil.

Thanks Terry

So I'll dig a few holes and improvise. Thanks
Also thanks for the heads up regarding bought worms being the wrong ones
for the garden.
Seems like the garden has heaps of beautiful worms in some areas, now I
will do what I can to encourage them to spread.

Does keeping an area moist down a couple of feet? Does this encourage
worms to come to a new area?