Old 17-05-2005, 11:59 AM
John Bachman

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:36:34 -0500, (DD DDD) wrote:

I have a 300 gallon pond with a oversized filter and pump. (1800 gph)
While it keeps the water clear it also makes a lot of water movement. I
am going to waterfall it soon. I was told that shutting off the pump 1
hour twice a day would not kill the good bio bacteria. I need these 2
hours so I can feed my fish and turtles. I also was told by a petshop
that even 12 hours would not hurt the bio filter. What do you all think?
Thank you

An alternative is to install a flow control valve in the water line.
Then adjust the flow rate to what you want. That way there is no
interruption of water, O2 and nutrients to the bacteria.

JMHO

John