Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Druss

Default birds

"Rufus" wrote in message
If you want the kind of fatball that has seeds in it, you can melt the
suet in the oven and when the fat is cooling but still runny, mix in
seeds and set it in a large yoghurt pot.

"BAC" wrote in a message:
As a variant on the above, I've set the fat/seed mixture in half coconut
shells, which look quite 'rustic' hung up in the garden, with fat etc
inside.
----

Yet another variant is to dip pine cones in the fat and seed mixture

before
it has cooled, place them upside down on a plastic bag to set the fat then
hang the cones up around your garden. Use the largest cones you can find,
your birds will soon find them.
I found Jane Ransom's account of a kestrel roosting in a house martin's
nest most interesting, My parents had a row of martin's nests under the
eaves of their cottage and one I remember was taken over by a starling as

ready built nest. I don't remember if it was successful or not.

Rufus

That's the lot of you, I never even thought of butchers, being a veggie I
tend to bypass them and not even notice it. Strange that, I've got all sorts
of little arrangements with grocers for stuff for compost heaps but never
thought of butchers for the fat.

I shall have to try this sometime, although I''m not sure me wife would let
me stick it in the oven !!! :-)

Duncan