Old 17-05-2005, 10:12 PM
ntantiques

David Bockman wrote:
enigma wrote in
:

We had a large population of feral cats which has been substantially
thinned by the foxes. Now the only feral cats I see are major beefy

boys
who look like they can hold their own.... last week I was awakened by

caterwauling and a weird yelping sound; I investigated and found a

feral
cat cornered up against the side of my house being repeatedly charged

by a
fox. The fox would leisurely step close, the cat would strike, and

the fox
would yelp and jump back. I think probably over time the cat would

become
exhausted and the fox could move in and finish the cat off, however I

broke
up the fight and each went off like lightning in different

directions.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Could be that was the bizarre howling noise my neighbor heard the other
night. Will have to keep an extra eye on the cats - they're good old
boys & delightful company when I'm working in the garden. Would bring
'em in at night, but they developed some nasty habits with their
previous owners - no use trying to retrain a neutered 12 year old
Siamese who feels obligated to mark everything in sight.

Nancy