Old 17-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Nate

Default tomatoes grown in pots on patio

I am growing two tomato plants in large pots on my patio. I got one Green
Zebra and one Purple Cherokee. Both say they need full sun. On my patio
they get sun from about 11 AM till about 6 pm. I bought Miracle Grow Potting
Mix. (this one: http://tinyurl.com/dovco)

I put the plants in the pots and my Fiancée started putting used coffee
grounds and used herbal tea bags on top of the potting mix. She says her
grandmother swears by it. I never heard of this. Any thoughts? I also was
reading posts on the web about putting whole bananas or just the peels on
the posts too. We have had the plants in the pots about 1 week. Should I
add peels or whole bananas now or is it too late? I have never heard of
putting banana in either.

I have noticed both plants have a couple leaves each that have ends curled
up and brown. But only one or two leaves on each plant and they are the
leaves that look closest to the soil/coffee grounds/tea bags.

She also made a water/dish soap mixture up and put some on the plants a few
days ago. She said it keeps harmful bugs away.

Any suggestions to ensure best production of tomatoes?

As a side note although I like ripe tomatoes, I LOVE fried green tomatoes. I
used to drive my mom crazy picking her biggest green tomatoes and requesting
she fry them up.

I'd love to get a lot of big tomatoes out of these two plants. So I can ****
off my fiancée picking a lot green..

Any help is appreciated.