Old 17-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Phil L

Nick Maclaren wrote:
:: In article ,
:: Kay wrote:
::: In article , Phil
::: L writes
::::
:::: I've binbagged all the nettle tops and bindweed tops and
:::: disposed of the roots, can these tops be left to rot down in the
:::: bag? - I heard 'nettle manure' left to rot like this makes good
:::: fertilizer next year...the nettles were in full seed, so I don't
:::: want to add them to my compost heap.
::::
::: Worry more about the oxalis ;-)
::
:: Not in my experience - ripe nettle seeds are BAD news :-(

I don't think they were ripe...they were all still green.

I'm using some of the soil out of there for my 10 hanging baskets and 15
planters next week (we are still getting light frosts here on a night)....I
did the same last year and just pulled the seedlings out twice a week for a
month and that was it, no weeds at all got established.

I do intend planting some tomatoes and chillis in that GH though, so I
suppose I'll just have to hoe it regularly - I'm just glad to have got it
back! - the buggers were 6 feet tall! - still, as someone told me on here a
few months ago, they do enrich the soil...I'm a bit new to all this but did
well last year utilising some of this soil.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.