Old 18-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Could you dig the 55 gal into the ground? It would increase the
efficiency as compared to a 5 gal bucket.

For mechanical filter material, think of blue furnace filters. Lots of
surface for bacteria as well as algae and physical junk. Lots of plans
in various locations...try Googling for 'pond filter' or try deja vu.

Plants too. Hyacinth, for instance.

Bowhunter wrote:
I'm thinking about making my own biofilter for my 450 gallon pond.
Would a 5 gallon bucket be large enough? I only have a small yard and
the pond takes up most of the area. I would hate to have a big 50
gallon container sitting in the yard next to my pond.
Also what filter media should I use that would be least expensive but
effective?

Thanks,
Mike