Old 18-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Pollination and germination

Can anyone recommend a book on the processes involved in pollination
and germination? Well, obviously, but there is a problem.

I come from the era when biology was not compulsory (and, in my case,
was not available) and did NONE at school. Notwithstanding that, I
have plenty of mathematics and physics, and have picked up a pretty
fair amount of biology and some chemistry and biochemistry. Assume
someone who got relevant O-levels (i.e. examinations at 16), a mediocre
A-level in biology (at 18) and sat through some of the first year
lectures in biology and botany before dropping out.

Now I want to find out about pollination and germination processes,
especially in angiosperms, including some of the details of what is
likely to trigger the acceptance/germination of pollen and whether it
reaches the ovary. Yes, I know that a lot of this is still very poorly
understood, whether for plants or humans.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.