Old 18-05-2005, 10:20 AM
RichardS

"The Reids" wrote in message
Following up to Alan Holmes

What, exactly, are 'Vine' tomatoes?

just left on the stalk as far as I know.

Many authorities now say
tinned toms are better than out of season imported ones.

I'd say for most cooking tinned toms win hands down, and given the dreadful
flavour of the majority of supermarket toms this goes for in-season as well.
Not so good in a salad or sandwich though! (watch out for added sugar in
some varieties of tinned, though. Why?!!!)

The other veg I don't normally give two hoots for fresh (from supermarkets)
are peas - IMHO frozen wins on flavour hands down.

Of course if you're growing them yourself everything changes..... :-)

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk