Old 18-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave writes:
| Nick Maclaren writes
| Sue Begg writes:
| |
| | Whilst on the subject of nettles. I would like to leave a patch for the
| | flutterbies but dread the seedlings that would emerge everywhere else (I
| | still haven't managed to clear the old ones yet) Is it feasible to
| | strim them before they set seed ? Or will that defeat the object ?
|
| Not in my experience. If, however, the nettles are separated from
| cultivated areas, compost heaps etc. by at least 5, preferably 10,
| yards of grass, it isn't a problem. The seeds are heavy and drop.
|
| ISTR that there are two nettle types, one that propagates from seed,
| which I think is the smaller leaved most viscous stinger, and the other
| which propagates by runners.

There are, indeed, several species in the UK. The annual nettle
(Urica urens) spreads by seed alone, but the ubiquitous stinging
nettle (U. dioecia) spreads by both runners and seed. My remark
applies to both, and I can assure you that the stinging nettle
grows readily from seed and that its seeds are durable (i.e. will
survive a fair amount of composting).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.