Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Jill

Default Clearing fruit patch of weeds

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have a patch of Autumn fruiting raspberries and currant bushes.
Due to a few years neglect the whole area is thick with couch grass
and bindweed which smothered the canes and bushes last year.
I have cut the raspberry canes down to the ground and pulled up as
much of the dead stuff as possible.
Question:
When the grass starts coming through can I use glyphosate on it as
long as no fruit leaves get touched?
Any other advice? Hand weeding or hoeing seem to be an impossible
task.

get some chickens :~))
- advantages are great fresh eggs
they will deal with the weeds and the bugs
and when it gets over worked and bare
if yo cover teh area with deep bark the birds will love the insects that are
attracted to the bark
and by turning it over will not get too boggy for their health
Every so often you clear the whole lot and compost it
and start again

I know its not gardening as such but the resulting muck from their house and
the mulch from the bark will do the rest of the garden wonders
:~))

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk