Old 18-05-2005, 03:27 PM
WRabbit

"Ornata" wrote in message

I've found that in shady areas bark chips can be a good hiding place
for slugs, so I use composted bark instead. It gets incorporated into
the soil fairly quickly so it needs to be topped more often than bark
chips, but it's a good soil conditioner. It should also help the soil
to retain moisture.

I'd forgotten about slugs Sometimes I think I live on a slug farm - and
now that I'm feeding the birds I don't want to use my trusty blue pellets
any more. I really must order some nematodes up. Anyone want to buy some
slugs?

Thanks for reminding me about our slimy friends. Composted bark sounds like
it might be a better bet. I don't mind having to top it up more if I'm
improving the soil at the same time.